Preventative maintenance is vital to the continued performance and efficiency of your heating and air conditioning system. Poorly maintained systems both increase your overall energy expenses and increase the likelihood of premature failure. Repair and replacement of your system will be far more expensive than regular maintenance is.
An annual checkup of your heating and air conditioning system is a good practice. The ideal is to schedule your checkup in either the spring or fall, before you require the use of your system. Service professionals become extremely busy once summer and winter are in full force, so scheduling before everyone else does can save you time and hassle.
To help you remember to schedule your preventative maintenance every year, it may be helpful to plan them with the time changes. If you choose a spring check-up, remember that when you set the clock forward then it’s time to call a service professional. Likewise with the setting back of the clock in the fall.
Heating and Air Conditioning Preventative Maintenance Checklist:
- Have your service technician inspect all controls and the thermostat settings for proper working order and efficiency.
- Check drains for blockages and remove any that may be present.
- Lubricate all moving parts to keep motor running efficiently.
- Clean coils, blower components, and burners; repair or replace damaged equipment
- Insure the air conditioning has adequate refrigerant and add refrigerant if low.You may also consider having your duct work checked periodically for damage or separated seals.
It makes very little sense to condition the air in your crawlspace or attic because air is escaping through the ducts, not to mention the added strain on your unit and electric bill. Finally, make sure you are doing your part throughout the year to keep your heating and air conditioning unit in good shape. Clean or change your filters once a month, both inside and at the air exchanger if it is needed.
We at AC Pro know just how important preventative maintenance for your heating and air conditioning system is. Visit AC Pro to find a Certified Contractor who will be happy to assist you in getting this essential annual service completed.
Our goal is to help inform our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heating and air conditioning maintenance and other HVAC topics, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.